A referral is not a reservation – please call the day before your expected arrival to make sure we have a room available. Rooms are available on a medical priority basis; therefore, we recommend you have a backup plan for your lodging needs. Backup arrangements can be made through a local hotel. Each patient is limited to one room, and each room has a maximum occupancy of either 2 or four people depending on the room. When the house is at full-occupancy, we will maintain a waiting list. Our Fisher House runs at 100% occupied so it is important you have a back up plan. All families that stay at the Fisher House must abide by house policies, which can be found here.
- Patient must be a military ID card holder; either a retired, active duty or reservist/National Guard member on orders or family member. VA patients are also eligible.
- The patient must be receiving care at any one of the medical facilities in the area.
- Family Members staying at the Fisher House (FH) must be visiting an inpatient (staying overnight in the Medical Facility). Exceptions to policy may be approved on a case by case basis by the manager. Exceptions include outpatients or any elective type procedures and require additional paperwork. The process may take 3 – 5 days for approval.
- A patient cannot ever stay at FH alone. They must be accompanied by a non-medical attendant at all times who is able to care for themselves and is not in a patient status.
- Family Member must reside more than 40 miles away (please see General Information for location information)
- Submit completed and correct Referral Form and DD Form 2870 Instructions can be downloaded here.
Only the FH Manager can make exceptions to the eligibility policy. If you have questions regarding an exception, please contact the manager.
Placement will not be provided without the required referral information and DD Form 2870 that determines eligibility. Placement will not be authorized until FH Manager has verified family eligibility.
Completed forms may be faxed (253-968-3619) or e-mailed (email@example.com) to Fisher House staff. All referral requests must be complete prior to consideration for placement. Requests submitted after 1500 may not be processed until the next business day. Outpatient placements require an exception to policy; this process may take 3-5 business days and may require additional paperwork submitted. If the request is not for a same day placement, please allow one to two business days for a staff member to contact you.
Who can submit a referral
If patient is inpatient and an active duty service member: see service member’s case manager.
If patient is inpatient and a dependent of a service member: see social work.
If patient is outpatient: please contact Fisher House staff.
If patient is assigned or attached to WTB please read JBLM Referral Info and WTB sample Memorandum. The WTB Memorandum and appointment list is required and must be complete before exception to policy will be considered.
If the Fisher House is full, families that are not on Military Travel Orders of any kind, may qualify for Hotel for Heroes, a Fisher House Foundation program that sponsors off-site lodging assistance. Please contact your Case Manager or Social Worker at Madigan Army Medical Center for assistance. Families receiving assistance from Hotel for Heroes will remain on the Fisher House waiting list and will be moved into the house as soon as there is availability.